IOTA AS-140, 10-16 December 2021
Islands on the air – AS-140
We are back and ready for our next dx from an island which was never activated before. It belongs to the AS-140 groups of Island.
– s21rc and s21am
S21DX operation from Manpura island this december
Manpura island is some 300km away from the capital and is situated in the south coastal belt of Bangladesh. There is some limited settlement there, and no electricity. We have selected the remote southern tips of the island for our camp. Though the lack of electricity is a challenge for us but at the same time that is a blessing – less interference.
In Bangladesh there are not many operators who are regular with HF operation, mainly the listening skill is rare. The main operator for this expedition will be S21AM and S21RC. Another op S21D shows interest but not confirmed yet. This will be a small station in a tent, run by battery and backed up by 2KW gasoline generator to top up the batteries and laptops.
We will operate two station (100w), antennas will be one multiband beam, two verticals and 1 multiband inverted V. We will mainly operate SSB voice on 10m, 15m, 20m and some 40m if propagation permits. Why no CW? because we forgot CW. Why no Digital/FT-8? because we hate computers doing the QSO. As we couldn’t manage Bandpass filter and not enough support, we will have only one HF station running with a multiband fan dipole and fan vertical.
Considering propagation and our poor setup (no beam and no Linear) we decided to run FT8 (preferably in Fox/Hound mode).
The main challenges are as only two operator we can not operate the station 24/7 as we need to sleep, eat and do errands. There will be 4 non-ham volunteer to manage the camp, seeing logistics, answering email and posting updates etc.
The only equipment we are looking for is some bandpass filters (20m, 15m, 10m, 40m) , so that we can operate both station simultaneously when there is good propagation.
QSL will be handled by our QSL manager David EB7DX. Please check his website for detail. QSl will be direct or via bureau through EB7DX. Also will be available in LoTW.
PLEASE do not send us QSL to Bangladesh. All QSL goes to EB7DX in Spain.
The initial budget of this dxpedition is set to US $4000.00 to $5000.00, the operators will cover the expenses of transport, food and logistics themselves which is somewhere $2000.00, rest of the fund we are looking for community support. Mainly we need to buy the generator, two batteries, fuel, pipes for the antennas. Also we are looking forward for some Band Pass Filters, we will be able to operate two station simultaneously in this way. Please check the Our Sponsors Tab for detail or talk with our manager David EB7DX.
Support us to activate s21dx
With your support we can operate more days and more QSO. Do not let go this chance to patronize one of the rare station on the band. Click below button to know how you can help us which we appreciate most or make a small donation to fund the expedition through paypal or card.
UPDATES and NEWS
- 4 Dec 2021: Please note 13cm/3cm/SAT QSO are not eligible for IOTA credit. It is ok for VUCC.
- 29 Nov 2021: Received callsign S21DX and operating permission from Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission. Dxpedition date and location has been changed to 10-16 December to be inline with the permission. Exact coordinate/Grid locator will be published soon. We are still AS-140.
- 27 Nov 2021: An internal meeting has been conducted and decided to run only one HF station (multiband fan dipole and multiband 1/4 vertical) and one QO-100 station. Second station can not be run due to not getting any BPF. Voice and FT8 will be done in turns. Frequency and Schedule will be published in few days.
- 27 Nov 2021: Two 80Ah maintenance free battery and one small gasoline generator has been procured . Thanks to Clipperton DX club for supporting.
- 14 Nov 2021: Got approval from Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission for depositing special event callsign charge and fees deposited.
- 6 Nov 2021: F4BKV confirms that Clipperton DX club will assist us buying some staffs – 2 unit 100AH AGM Batteries are checked.
- 17 October 2021: Applied to Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission for Special call sign S21DX.
- 2 October 2021: S21RC is making his QO-100 station, if successful before Dxpedition – we will try to activate QO-100.
- 10 September 2021: We have decided to run FT4/FT8 also. More challenge to charge the laptops for long run.
- 25th March 2021: S21DX IOTA is now qualified for the DXPT. Detail are at https://dxpt.org
- 20th March 2021: Confirmation from Cezar VE3LYC (Operations Manager & Deputy General Manager, Islands on the Air Ltd.) that Manpura is indeed fall under AS-140 groups and comply with the IOTA criteria.
- 20th March 2021: Website launched.
- 19th March 2021: QSL Manager EB7DX has been informed about our plan and he is exited to get us back after so many years.
- 18th March 2021: Email enquiry sent to RSGB IOTA to get confirmation about this island as it is not listed and situated between AS-127 and AS-140.
- 17th March 2021: Initial online meeting done to discuss the modality and date by S21AM, S21RC and S21D.
5P1KZX Michael Möller
YO3IPR Tony Jones
W0RW Paul Signorelli
F4GYM Fabien BERTOLOTTI
N6DD Dennis Dinga
PH7PCF Aldert Kwak
AF4Z Don Winn
WA0WOF Key Eyman